May/24
2011
No really, I MEAN it. Just remember you were warned.
Police tracked down the suspect after a trail of severed body parts including limbs and a head were found across Moscow. "When the police came to arrest the suspect, he was eating a human liver with potatoes," a police spokeswoman for the Moscow's western district said by telephone. The rest of the human liver was found in a refrigerator in the suspect's flat. The police spokeswoman said the cause of the acquaintance's death was not clear. The suspect "admitted his crime and that he had eaten part of his acquaintance's liver," the prosecutor general's main investigative unit said in a statement.(Reuters)
If I had to guess I'd say his buddy probably didn't die from alcoholism because those livers are more like cheese. Nevertheless that's a pretty unique way to remember someone. At least for the few days it takes to digest them...
May/24
2011

Christine Leaf Is A Cunt

I reserve the use of that particular pejorative for a very special kind of person. In this case it's a mother who rejected her child after learning that her daughter had been raped. Twice. A mother who refused to give solace to her baby when she was the most in need. A monster who shunned her child, had her relocated to another state to live with strangers during a most terrifying time in her life, and prevented friends and relatives from knowing where her daughter was. That's Christine Leaf. Not a mother but a bitch, pure and simple.
Concord police said they could not locate Anderson in 1997 to investigate the rape allegations reported by both Phelps and Anderson's mother, and the case was shelved.[..] "I was under the impression Mr. Willis was going to turn himself in and admit to having sex with my child," Leaf she said, referring back to 1997. She was asked whether it made her angry that Willis did not do that. "No, I tend to forget things," Leaf replied. (AP)
Forget? How does a mother FORGET that her daughter was raped and pregnant? It's not possible, unless of course, she's a cold hearted twat. In fact Leaf did more, she took part in a public shaming of her child in front of other church members.
But former church members who witnessed it testified Tuesday Anderson appeared terrified and humiliated. Christine Barnhart had recently joined Trinity Baptist Church in 1997, when Anderson was part of what Barnhart described as "a church discipline session." Barnhart said Anderson was "pale as a ghost, scared to death, a frightened little child." Barnhart said she was "mortified" by session.
Christine Leaf should be on trial for abuse. By her own admission she's a heartless, souless monster who did nothing to protect her child. To the contrary she aided and abetted those who abused, isolated, and tormented her daughter. The court is being kind in portraying Leaf and other members of their church as "former cultists" but that still doesn't prevent an adult from knowing right from wrong.
Leaf testified she did not try to keep her daughter's whereabouts a secret to police or relatives who were trying to reach out to her. But her sister-in-law, Barbara Kingsbury, contradicted that testimony.[..] "She (Leaf) said no one was allowed to know where she was at," Kingsbury said. Coull asked Leaf why she didn't bring her daughter to talk with police before the move to Colorado. "I could not force my daughter to do anything," Leaf replied. "Except move her from her friends and family to live with strangers in Colorado?" Coull pressed. "Yes. It was the right thing to do," Leaf replied.
I believe that what comes around goes around. Someday Christine will have to answer for the harm that she's committed. Hopefully her religion will be there for her then because it's certain that no one else will.
May/23
2011
I find them as disturbing as they are meaningless. I'm referring to the tiny 150x100 pixel images used as eye catchers for cheap sales gimmicks. "Mom makes money selling schlock." "Granny erases all wrinkles." "Make a few grand quick, buy our crap to find out how." "Lose weight." "Cut your mortgage payments." Whatever. I don't know who, if anyone, actually clicks on those links deliberately. I know they all scream "virus factory" to me. Nevertheless, as of late, it's been musclebound pics of ladies and it puts me right off my feed. The first few times I saw them it seemed a nice change from the jiggy-gyrations of the animated girls dancing in their cubicles. Or the massive, Technicolor arrays icons asking you to click your age, rate, state or bra size. But when you see the same bionic-bicep images jammed together time and again, sometimes in duplicate or triplicate, for different advertisements you wonder if you can claw the inedible stain from your brain with a rusty grapefruit spoon. I'm not sure what kind of nausea-inducing images will be next, the only thing I'm confident of is that they'll be worse. You have to wonder who creates these eye-bombs and how they (or anyone else) manages to live with them.
May/23
2011
You just know this will go over like a lead balloon...
WASHINGTON (AP) -- House Republicans are targeting domestic nutrition programs and international food assistance as they try to control spending in next year's budget. In a bill released Monday, Republicans proposed cutting $832 million - 11 percent from this year's budget for the Women, Infants and Children program, which provides food for low-income mothers and children.
You know for once I'm not faulting the Repubs for trying. It's hard and they're royally stuck. The mega-giants of Medicare and Social Security are well protected by large, angry masses of retirees who have the time and inclination to vote. Neither of those will go down gracefully or without taking hostages. The newbie lawmakers are discovering this fast. So now they're looking for alternatives, and to their credit nothing is being left un-scrutinized. Problem is, there's no low hanging fruit left and cutting anything is going to cause someone pain. Liberals (and others) who voted for Obama recall his prediction that everyone was going to suffer before it became better. Those who didn't vote for him clearly didn't get that message. In their minds they weren't the ones who should have to suffer, but others. Who those others are is the subject of the moment. The poor? Well cut their handouts. Stop the largess. Cease the support. Sure they should go out and get a job, but the problem is "what job?" When no one is hiring it's kinda a hard thing to accomplish. The rich? Tax them. Stop letting them hide their money. Quit allowing their wealth to work for them as they invent new and novel ways to shuffle their riches around. Force them to re-invest in America. Re-invest? Companies are leaving our nation in droves. Hiring overseas. Moving production. What's left to invest in? The answer, of course, lies in the hands of our senators and congressmen. But didn't they all promise in the last election to lay off the pork?
The massive, $553 billion [Defense] bill providing a budget for the Pentagon boasts millions of dollars that President Barack Obama didn't request for weapons programs, installations and other projects in districts from Illinois to Mississippi represented by House GOP freshmen. The additions look suspiciously like the pet projects that Republicans prohibited when they took over the House and that the new class of lawmakers, many with tea party backing, swore off in a promise to change Washington's spending habits. Heated campaign talk of reining in spending and barring earmarks often cools once candidates get to Congress and face the needs and demands of their districts, especially in times of wobbly economic recovery and a widespread shortage of jobs. (AP)
So really, in the end, nothing has changed. All the hard-charging newcomers have succumbed to the temptation of the usual earmarks to fund the demands of their districts. The question is how do the voters who wanted something new, something different feel? Betrayed? Indifferent? Ready to elect the next person that comes along making the same promises? Not sure, but to me it's like buying a new car based on the advertisements, putting yourself several thousand into debt only to realize that your old car was just as reliable, functional, comfortable and totally paid for. I guess you could call it "Buyers Remorse". Regardless of what anyone likes to believe politics and those who practice politics for a living are fairly homogeneous. True some are better, older, smarter, better looking, or wittier than others but for the most part they're all the same. The real winners in the politics game are the ones who can afford to buy the next candidate. The losers are everyone else, meaning the rest of us schmucks who aren't famous, don't own big businesses, will never have name recognition. Sucks but it's true. So feel free to exercise your right to vote, any which way, but remember not to be too disappointed in the outcome because our destiny is the same: we lose.
May/23
2011
I have been dealing with a difficult group (that I have bitched about here before). One of the issues is that they insist that we agreed to a certain issue that no one in my office would ever agree to - not me, not my boss, not my predecessor. The issue is not documented anywhere, but they still insist. Today we asked who, we asked for a name. First they gave us one name of someone who doesn't work for us, then the name of my predecessor. Little did they know she was in the room. Suddenly when confronted, they started saying that it didn't matter since we were going to make changes anyway. This issue has mattered for months. This issue had mattered up until only moments previously. It's funny how people when confronted with their stupidity suddenly change position, isn't it?
May/22
2011
Best comments of the day on Reuters article As hours tick by, "Judgment Day" looks a dud...
Larry1960 wrote: Has anyone thought that the rapture did happen and nobody was eligible to go? BuckyW wrote: Dang, I missed the Rapture. Anyone know when I can catch the next one? JohnTheEngineer wrote: Darn, Now I wish i would have done my math homework, and bought those green bananas at the market yesterday…. USAFLtColRet wrote: Oh ye of little faith. The world will be coming to an end shortly – the reverend simply made a slight computational error! (Similar to his 1994 interpretation of the account of the 2000 demon-possessed pigs – anyone could make that error about the elusive pigs.) lorax wrote: I am disappointed that the Rapture didn’t happen. I was hoping that all those self-righteous whackos were going to leave the planet today. Looks like we have to put up with them till the next scheduled doomsday. bellz wrote: Ok technical glitch folks the end of the world has been cancelled……. refunds are in order……lol Harry079 wrote: I’m still waiting on that 7 year peace agreement between Israel and the PLO. Once that happens the Antichrist will become known. JayArr wrote: Trump’s done it again. He’s casting for prophets to appear on Celebrity Apprentice next season. Camping is a dud personality. But Trump is desperate to cast Sarah Palen, Sean Hannity and Glen Beck to go head to head on even more spectacular judgement day prophesies that can make giga profits. scarr34 wrote: On May 22, his followers will have to do something they’ve probably never done before…look for a job! hapasan wrote: Small miscalculation. God just wanted to make sure no one flew out of Iceland, that’s all. bob-uk wrote: Why is effort wasted on reporting this stupidity…why did I waste my time reading it ! ??
And there you have it folks! Thanks for reading. We're here all week, er... decade, try the veal and don't forget to tip your waiter 'cause he's broke and gas costs over 4 bucks a gallon at the pump. Toodles!
May/21
2011

I must have missed it.

I told you I'd write. I didn't see the rapture. No swarms of missing people. No cars with missing drivers. No signs of impending Armageddon. No trumpets. Nothing. So... all you slack jawed morons out there, feel free to take a big slice of SHUT THE FUCK UP. You were wrong. Again.
May/21
2011
Not everyone was disappointed in the lack of hellfire and brimstone, nay, in fact some people did all they could to make the best of it by using the moment for useful (useful?) speculation. This article in Reuters on Judgement Day trading is nothing if not utterly hilarious...
"The end of the world trade is a sucker's bet because if you're right, well, your counterparties are dead and you have nobody to collect from, and if you're wrong you owe a lot of money," said Barry Ritholtz, CEO and director of equity research at Fusion IQ in New York. But just for the sake of discussion, Ritholtz wasn't too keen on the housing market, since land would hardly be at a premium.[..] "Assuming somehow I escaped and lived through it, I guess I would want to be short a lot of stock index futures and buy a lot of puts," said Tom Sosnoff, CEO of tastytrade.com, a financial news network website based in Chicago. That said, he wouldn't get completely irrational and dump a stock that's risen twelvefold in two-and-a-half years. "I would probably want to be long Netflix because nothing can make that stock go lower, even the end of the world," said Sosnoff. The online movie rental company, despite the best efforts of short-sellers, is up 245 percent in the last 12 months.(Reuters)
And there you have it folks! Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we may just have to put up with yet another phony-baloney prediction of our imminent demise. Plus think of all the good you're doing for the economy? After all, you can't take it with you...
May/21
2011
Manal has a lot of balls for someone who doesn't have any. She's singlehandedly taking on the Saudi establishment to highlight the plight of women in this backwards nation, the only nation in the world where women (even foreigners) are not allowed to drive.
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- Authorities detained a Saudi woman on Saturday after she launched a campaign against the driving ban for women in the ultraconservative kingdom and posted a video of herself behind the wheel on Facebook and YouTube to encourage others to copy her. Manal al-Sherif and a group of other women started a Facebook page called "Teach me how to drive so I can protect myself," which urges authorities to lift the driving ban. She went on a test drive in the eastern city of Khobar and later posted a video of the experience.[..] Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world to ban women - both Saudi and foreign - from driving. The prohibition forces families to hire live-in drivers, and those who cannot afford the $300 to $400 a month for a driver must rely on male relatives to drive them to work, school, shopping or the doctor.[..] "We want to live as complete citizens, without the humiliation that we are subjected to every day because we are tied to a driver," the Facebook message reads. "We are not here to break the law or demonstrate or challenge the authorities, we are here to claim one of our simplest rights."
It's a dangerous things she and her local supporters are doing. Saudi Arabia is a primitive culture that is able to adhere to the most backwards standards through their wealth. The problem is that not everyone, women especially, are that wealthy. Those that can't afford a driver are then prisoners in their own home, dependent on male relatives who may not have the time or inclination to help. So my applause to you Manal, I wish you all the success with the least amount of suffering. What you do, you do for all the women in the world, not just Saudi nationals. Drive on Sister! Drive on!
May/21
2011
Mark Fiorino openly carries his firearm, which he is licensed to legally carry in Pennsylvania. He was stopped, and in my opinion, essentially assaulted by Sgt. Michael Dougherty of the Philadelphia Police. Whether Mr. Fiorino was looking to push the envelope regarding his 2nd Amendment rights is irrelevant. The fact is that he was not breaking the law and the ego-tripping cop was over the top. Listen for yourself. (It's cops like this are why people like me do not trust the police.) If (or when if certain people close to me have their way) I get a license to carry, my preference would likely to be to conceal. I'm not sure I would want others to necessarily know that I was armed. However, if I chose to openly carry, I would not expect, as a law abiding citizen, to harassed by the police. Questioned? Perhaps. Made to lay on the ground like a common criminal? No. I do hope that the Philadelphia Police Department disciplines this officer, and beyond "re-education". At the very least he should suck on a bar of soap.
May/20
2011
Somehow the esteemed Tennessee Senators, people one would think, would hope, to have an iota of sense in their heads, do not. They have decided that ignorance is (momentary) bliss and that the state bird should be replaced by the ostrich with it's head in the sand. It defies rationale, especially in the 21st century, that such primitive ideals could still hold sway.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A bill passed Friday by the Tennessee Senate would forbid public school teachers and students in grades kindergarten through eight from discussing the fact that some people are gay.[..] Under the proposal, any instruction or materials at a public elementary or middle school would be limited to age-appropriate lessons about the science of human reproduction.[..] The legislation was amended from the original version, which said no elementary or middle schools will "provide any instruction or material that discusses sexual orientation other than heterosexuality." Republican Senate sponsor Stacey Campfield of Knoxville said some of his colleagues were uncomfortable with that language. "There's more than one way to skin a cat," Campfield said after the vote. "I got what I wanted." He said the language is appropriate because "homosexuals don't naturally reproduce," and he said it's necessary because the state's curriculum is unclear on what can be taught.
Really. So under that same notion IVF used by heterosexual couples are also in the same category. And so, for that matter, is Mary, Mother of Jesus. Fascinating. Stacey I can understand why you're so against homosexuals, you were stuck with a typically feminine first name. I'm willing to bet as Butch, Harry or even Hubert you'd have more love in your heart and tolerance in your soul for your brethren. It's very sad that you don't. But isn't your beef with your parents and not your fellow man? Because it takes a double helping of dumbass not to realize that just not mentioning homosexuality won't make it go away, won't stop kids from cleaving to their true sexuality, won't prevent gays from being in the military, or even (gasp) being teachers themselves. History, science and time have all proven that pretending something or someone doesn't exist doesn't nullify their presence. Gays have, are and will continue to be part of our society. They will have children in Tennessee schools and perhaps you can gag teachers but you won't be able to gag those kids or their parents. Like it or not there are gay Americans everywhere, even in your home state. Trying to deny their existence is an exercise in stupid. I've got an idea, why not spend your time (and your taxpayer dollars) on something that might actually benefit everyone in your state... say perhaps solving your deficit? Or isn't that exciting enough? Why not ask your constituents, even the gay ones, what they think?
May/19
2011
Who is Todd Stordahl? He's a petty little tyrant who is using his limited authority to show cancer-supporters that his ego is far more important than their cause. Read on...
After sitting on its hands for seven months, a Washington state referees association decided earlier this week to ban nearly 150 high school football officials from working most postseason games during the next two years - all because the refs wore pink whistles during games last fall.[..] The brouhaha dates back to last October, when PNFOA members were looking for a way to support the fight against breast cancer. The disease had touched the lives of so many officials that someone came up with the idea of wearing pink whistles for a week's worth of games. Then members decided to go a step further and donate their game checks to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. But their bosses at the WOA, which supervises 150 referees' associations in all, put the kibosh on the idea. They decided pink whistles were a violation of the uniform code. Then they warned that any ref wearing one could face suspension and the loss of a game check. Besides, [commissioner Todd] Stordahl contended, think of the precedent it would set. "It sends the wrong message to kids that are playing the game," he said then. "'If they broke the rules, why can't I do the same.'"(AP)
Well Todd I know that by now a lot of people have called you a fucking douchebag, so please don't take it too personally when I do the same. After all, you *are* a fucking douchebag. No kid has ever thought that a pink whistle, one worn to support a noble and worthy cause, was a symbol of "breaking the rules." And as far as justifications go your reasoning is so asinine that it's insulting. The truth is you're pissed because they didn't ask you and you didn't think of it. You're also pissed because they went ahead and did the right thing and got credit for it. In addition the whole affair made people realize that you're a total tool. Ok, so you win, but what did you get for all that? You got the tile of "scumbag of the year" and the refs? Well they're still the good guys in the end and there's nothing you can do to take that away. Fuckwad.
May/18
2011
I am working on a project that has become a nightmare. I need to evaluate the data that is produced, but I was not involved in deciding how that data were collected. It has been like pulling teeth to get details about program. The guy in charge of putting the data together has more than 20 year experience and a Ph.D. The specs require a person in his position to have “more than 500 hours of relevant experience”. Therefore, he qualifies although his experience is mostly in an industrial setting and we are doing stuff that should be more geared toward the general public. I saw problems with the data. It made no sense. I asked to check for different possible sources of the problems. I asked question after question with no bit of information ever being volunteered. I finally found out that he chose a technique that has been around for more than 20 years. I’ve used data generated by this technique more than 10 years ago. It has its limitations and it can have problems, including some of the problems we’ve been seeing. Personally, I would call the technique outdated. There are far better techniques available, they just cost a bit more. This man’s 20+ years of experience are still not enough to get the job done right. His choices are stuck in a time-warp from more than 10 years ago. He is clearly unfamiliar with our specific application of the data, so he has repeatedly missed the fact that the data is f-ed up. I have explained how the data should be and its application. He is too busy “correcting” me (I don’t have a Ph.D., so what do I know), although I have far more experience in this specific application. This man and his vast experience have cost many people large quantities of time and money (some argue that is the same thing), including taxpayer money since it is a municipal job. (Oh, and he is a contractor from a private company, so no “ah ha, stupid government worker” comments apply.) If I have my way, his contract will be yanked. Fact is, unless someone with lots of experience continues to keep up with technology and they are willing to listen to others about the subtle nuances of application, they are useless. We would have been better served by some fresh college graduate with no practical experience rather than some pompous ass who fails to check his work or listen to others that his work is f-ed up.
May/18
2011
I hate adults who make a habit of scapegoating as an excuse for giving themselves attention. Now it's Ronald in the crosshairs because he's lovable, historic and popular. Apparently he's the one responsible for parent's poor choices, for kids who don't want to exercise and physicians who don't try hard enough to get their message across. Yep, what's easier than attacking a mascot that can't attack back.
The same watchdog group that sent Joe Camel packing for marketing cigarettes to children is now after the McDonald's mascot. They say he's targeting kids and feeding into the epidemic of childhood obesity. "McDonald's is the corporation that essentially invented childhood marketing," Deborah Lapidus, Senior Organizer, Corporate Accountability International said. The group conducted its own poll and found nearly half of those surveyed say Ronald should go. "Targeting to children is unethical and I don't think it's the right thing to do," Fiona Pippa, who supports retiring Ronald, said. (KBTX)
Deborah you're a dolt. McDonalds never "invented childhood marketing" they're only one of most current and successful restaurants that caters to kids. McDonald's isn't to blame for how kids eat, they only provide options and a venue for families to eat comfortably. And the idea of using a clown or cartoon mascot as an advertising gimmick? Old. Fuck I can recall Jack-in-the-box from when I was a kid, but they were never successful enough I guess to warrant idiot-intervention. Leave the clown alone. Ronald has done a lot of good work for children, from his Foundation that helps needy children with medical issues, to simply giving tired parents a break. McDonald's has even taken steps to highlight healthy choices, offering fruits and salads to both children and adults. So to Deb and your organization, you wanna eat elsewhere? Sure, go ahead, but stay the fuck away from Ronald because I like him and he's a part of my childhood and my kids. I don't want to see him go away. So fuck off.
May/17
2011
I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon. I pulled into the lot and there were very few cars, obviously a sign that I was one of the appointments just after "lunch". There was one car pulled perpendicular to the three empty handicapped spots in the small narrow lot, while the passenger obviously struggled or took her sweet time getting out of the car. I decided to park in a spot next to one of the handicapped spots. I pull up and backed into the slot since pulling around the car discharging the passenger would have been difficult to do gracefully. I realized later that the car could have pulled into the spot I had taken and the passenger would have had less to walk to the door, but not everyone is that smart. When I go inside, and there was one other person in the reception area, obviously the old biddy that was the passenger from the car that I had to navigate around outside. Aside from an oxygen tank, she looked relatively spry. I couldn't see if there was a receptionist where she was, so I waited for the receptionist I could see. I looked at the old biddy, she looked at me as if she were impatient (like she and her oxygen tank had so many errands to run). The receptionist asked my name and I looked at the old biddy and asked if she was all set. Instead of answer, she scowled at me and went up to the receptionist. She gave the receptionist some crap because there was a sign about going to the next receptionist in front of her, blah, blah, blah. I stepped back a bit, probably 6 feet away, and let her do her business. When the biddy was done, the receptionist looked at me, motioned me over and checked me in. After, I sat across the waiting room from the old biddy and her driver. I did not have a high opinion of these two already. I had done nothing to the old biddy and she had been a bitch to me. Then they loudly discussed how the sign says to sit down until a receptionist is available, periodically glancing at me. My glares in their general direction became more pronounced. To the old biddy and her companion - Go get stuffed. I don't give a rat's ass who you are or what medical problems you have. I don't care. I only care to get checked in and get my stuff taken care of. I do not have to sit the fuck down while you check in. I backed up and gave you your space. In fact you were sitting closer to me when I checked in than I was standing to you, old biddy. If I were in a slightly worse mood, I may have given you the finger from across the room and you both would have deserved it. Perhaps should have asked you if you had a problem. I was nothing but polite and I got scowls and passive aggressive comments spoken loudly enough for me to hear. Go fuck yourselves, both of you.
May/16
2011
In France the upper echelon gets away with this sort of behavior because the press simply doesn't report it. Now France has its baguettes all in a bunch because that's not how things work here in the US of A. Moreover you'd think Mr. Great Seducer would know this because he fucking lives in D.C.
(Reuters) - IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn was denied bail on Monday on charges he attempted to rape a hotel maid, a crushing blow for the man until recently seen as a front-runner for the French presidency and who oversaw world finance. Looking tired, with a light stubble, Strauss-Kahn listened as prosecutors described in graphic detail to a Manhattan Criminal Court judge what they said was his sexual attack on the maid and a subsequent attempt to flee the country.[..] Police have said the maid had described how the naked IMF chief sprang on her from a bathroom in his hotel suite, chased her down a hall, pulled her into a bedroom and assaulted her. She told police she broke free but that he dragged her into the bathroom where he forced himself on her again. Prosecutors told the judge Strauss-Kahn shut the door of his hotel room to prevent the maid from leaving.
It's sad how other allegations are coming out of the woodwork, especially the politician who said she told her daughter "not to report the assault" from Mr. Strauss-Kahn because it could get her black listed in her industry. That in itself is telling, it speaks volumes for what kind of society France is and how exempt the upper crust is from the rules of morality and the law.
French radio reported that Strauss-Kahn's lawyers have proof that he was having lunch with his daughter at the time of the alleged attack.
Yeah that and a nickel will buy you a pound of bullshit. I'm glad the judge didn't let this bastard go. They already had to haul his ass out of a first-class Paris bound jet. To me that's the very definition of "flight-risk". As for his run for President of France? I think that's out of the question now, boo hoo. Still, maybe the French have a good turn of phrase for this: "C'est la vie."
May/16
2011
I give them a solid round of applause for going where most, if not all other, restaurants dare to tread: into true charity.
It was a year ago that Panera converted the Clayton (Mo) restaurant into a nonprofit pay-what-you-want restaurant with the idea of helping to feed the needy and raising money for charitable work. Panera founder and Chairman Ronald Shaich said the cafe, operated through Panera's charitable foundation, has been a big success, largely because of people like Thornton. "Sometimes you can give more, and sometimes you can give less," said Thornton, a teacher's assistant. "Today was one of my 'more' days." Panera, based in suburban St. Louis, has long been involved in charitable giving, donating millions of dollars and giving away leftover food to the needy. But Shaich sought more direct involvement. What developed was the largest example yet of a concept called community kitchens, where businesses operate partly as charities. Panera's success in Clayton has led it to open two similar cafes - one in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, Mich., and one in Portland, Ore. It plans to add a new one every three months or so.
It's impressive, not just from the point of a business like Panera but from the view of the community that understands the need. Most people, over 50% pay the suggested price but an equal number pay more than or less than the recommended price and so it all evens out. True the store doesn't operate with the margin that other stores do, but it has sufficient profit to support it's other charitable activity which is its training program for at-risk youths. So props Panera, I enjoy your food and I will continue to support your good efforts through my patronage. Bravo!